Wednesday 2 November 2011

"Faisal has made every Kashmiri proud with his hard work and dedication."


He comes from a remote village in Kupwara district of strife-torn Kashmir and studied in a village school. Eight years ago, his father was gunned down by militants. But Dr Shah Faisal, a 26-year-old MBBS, has fought the odds and won. On Thursday, Faisal became the first Kashmiri ever to top the civil services exam.

"I don't have words to express how I feel, I am not able to speak. I just wish I was with my family. I am just waiting to hug my mother," Faisal, who came to the capital before the results to "get away from the stress of waiting", told TOI.

''I miss my father most today. He used to dote on me and taught me English and maths when I studied in school," he says.

In Srinagar, his mother Mubeena Begum, thrilled beyond words, says, "Faisal has made every Kashmiri proud with his hard work and dedication."

Faisal, who did his MBBS from Srinagar's Sher-i-Kashmir Medical College, says he was confident of qualifying but never imagined he would be right on top. Among his inspirations, Faisal counts an IPS officer from his state. "I was inspired by one Abdul Gani Mir of my area in Kupwara, who passed his IPS in 1994. I have been in touch with him since 2007, when I thought of sitting for the civil services exams," he says. Gani is currently DIG, CID in Jammu and Kashmir Police.

Faisal's younger brother Shah Nawaz is also a doctor while his younger sister Talat Shah is a library assistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Sufism?

CHAPTER I INTRODUCTION What is Sufism?   Sufism has various suggested origins. Some say it's linked to the purity (Safa) of the ...